From birthdays to game or movie nights, family cookouts to any other revelry, a carnival-style party can make your get-togethers a lot more fun and memorable. Mouthwatering snacks like popcorn and concessions are a huge hit with kids and adults. However, to keep your guests entertained and the good times rolling, your concession equipment needs proper maintenance and thorough cleaning. Here are some tips to keep your concession apparatus running smoothly.
- Make sure the popcorn machine is turned off and wait for it to cool entirely to a temperature that is safe for you to touch.
- After every two or three uses, wipe the outside of the kettle with a clean, soft cloth to remove any oil residue. Do not let the salt and oil build up, dry, and create a thick crust.
- Spray both sides of the glass surfaces with a glass cleaner and wipe them off with a paper towel. Make sure you empty all of the popcorn from the inside of the machine.
- Use a heavy-duty carbon cleaning solution that “cuts grease.” Spray the kettle with this solution and wait at least 10 minutes before wiping the kettle with a clean, soft cloth. Use a scrubbing brush to clean the inside of the kettle where the salt and oil buildup can be more thick. You will want to use warm water. Wear gloves to protect your hands.
- Soak the removable parts in warm water and dishwashing soap before lightly scrubbing them down; don’t let these parts soak for too long. For parts that can’t be removed, you can clean them with any regular household cleaners and paper towel.
- Do not use cleaners that contain ammonia. Ammonia-based cleaners may fog or crack the plastic parts of the machine.
- Once you’re done with all the cleaning, dry the entire machine completely before putting it away or using it again.
Hot dog Steamer and Grill
- For your hot dog steamer, make sure to unplug the machine and pour out the water inside it. Make sure the water has had time to cool before draining.
- You can use mild detergent to clean the hot dog and bun baskets, trays, doors, partitions, other removable parts. Rinse and wipe dry.
- Wipe the inside of the steamer with damp sponge or cloth. Set aside and allow to dry.
- Same with the hot dog steamer, make sure to turn off and unplug the roller grill and wait for it to cool entirely before cleaning the surface.
- Fill a bowl with water and mild detergent. Use this solution to wipe off grease, crumbs, and dirt from the outside surface.
- Use a sponge to scrub the roller casing. To remove stubborn dirt, you can use more abrasive cleaning materials.
- Once the machines are clean, let them dry and insert back the parts you have removed.
Cotton Candy Machine
- Keep the machine running until it stops making cotton candy. This will make cleaning the machine easier as there will be no leftover sugar.
- Turn the cotton candy machine’s heat to the highest setting. The heat melts any excess sugar in the machine.
- Turn the machine off and make sure it is unplugged. Clean the inside surface thoroughly with a wet rag.
- Don’t let the spinner head get wet.
- Wash the cotton candy machine bowl with soap and water. Rinse and wipe dry.
- Wipe the entire machine with a clean towel until dry before putting it away for storage.
Snow Cone Machine
- Run the snow cone machine for a few cycles to make sure any excess water/ice is removed.
- Turn off and unplug the machine.
- Use a clean cloth with mild detergent and wipe the inner and outer surface of the ice horn, the ice pusher, and all other surfaces.
- Wipe the entire machine dry inside and out.
- Remember to be extremely careful when cleaning the snow cone machine as its blades are sharp and it runs at a high speed.